Sunday, August 9, 2009

First Project


The first costume project I tackled was a caul, using the Simple Caul pattern from The Sempstress.  It actually turned out pretty well, particularly considering that I had absolutely no idea what to do with my machine to make it do gathering stitches.

I used a scrap of white fabric, most likely retrieved from the remnants bin at the fabric store...I didn't make a mental note of where it came from or what it was since this was just a demo.  I essentially wanted to see if I could do it.  I didn't even use white thread - for which I'm kicking myself now, because it turn out so well and it actually fits beautifully.



I was pretty impressed with myself over these gathers.



The French seam was a little bit hard to understand at first, until I figured out that you have to turn the caul wrong-side out so it doesn't show.



Finished product on my head.

I'm not really sure what I did with this...I think I might have actually ended up cutting the band on the bias because it's quite stretchy and stays put without pins or combs or anything.  Either than or I used stretchy fabric.  Since I didn't pay attention to what I was using, the world may never know the answer to this question.

No comments:

Post a Comment