Monday, January 11, 2010

ATTIFET!


Firstly, allow me to apologize once again for not posting in 2935879384 years.  Holidays, busy, blah blah blah.  I haven't been doing much crafting of note anyway.  

As you may recall, the hat I made to wear with my green-gold surcoat was evil and had to die.  What I really wanted was an attifet, but I couldn't find a pattern for one ANYWHERE.  I have been able to find free instructions on how to make pretty much any hat from the Renaissance, but I couldn't find attifet instructions to save my life.

My friend Peggy was able to save the day, however.  She has an attifet pattern, and she was kind enough to lend it to me.  She has been very patient, because she gave it to me in June, I've seen her twice since then, and I've only just gotten to the finishing stage.  I did a mock-up right off the bat, and got the fashion fabric all cut out, but then I ended up putting it aside for various reasons and only just came back to it.

This pattern is pretty straight-forward in all honesty.  It only involves 3 pattern pieces...a large circle, a band (you cut two), and a triangle-ish piece which forms the brim (you cut two of these as well).  You stick some wire in the brim and there you have it.

Of COURSE I didn't take progress pictures because I never remember to take progress pictures because I am lame.  I did, however, take pictures of the hat once it was constructed:

    


Pretty snazzy, huh?  The last touch will be a square yard of some light, lovely fabric trimmed in lace fastened on to be a veil, like this:



I think I will also do something along the edge of the brim...maybe not lace; perhaps some pearls or something.

I have decided that, in order to keep myself busy and to try and make a little money during this period of "Funemployment", I'm going to start an Etsy shop.  I'm going try and sell some nice Elizabethan purses and pouches and hats and things.  Maybe some smocks and shirts.  I don't know if I'm going to get crazy enough to try actual garb...in any event, it'll have me doing something more productive that sitting on the couch, messing around on the laptop and watch Star Trek. :)

Tomorrow I'm going to the fabric store to supplement the supply of stuff I have on hand and start getting some stuff listed.  I'm hoping to have a handful of items by the end of the week.  Then we'll see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment